May 3, 2013

Delighting in Him

"Delight thyself also in the Lord; and He shall
give thee the desires of thine heart.
- Psalm 37:4
 
As I sat at my desk, working on homework assignments for what seemed liked the millionth day and feeling slightly weary and discouraged, my eyes caught sight of this familiar verse on my mug of steaming tea.
 
Delight thyself also in the Lord.
 
Reflecting on the past several weeks, I realized this verse has not been true of me lately. In the busyness of the ending weeks of my final spring semester, my relationship with the Lord was suffering. I was still doing my devotions every morning, praying throughout the day, but something was missing.
 
I was missing Him. I was simply going through the motions and not delighting in Him.
 
The first rain of the season was another gentle reminder from the Lord that I was spiritually dry -- desperately in need of the refreshment only He could offer. Instead of rejoicing and resting in Him, I was focusing on my own needs, my seemingly endless "to-do" list, and the myriad other things and people competing for my time and energy.
 
Yet, the truth of service is that if we are not filled up, we cannot be poured out for others. Christ must be first in our lives.
 
"I delight greatly in the Lord;
my soul rejoices in my God"
- Isaiah 61:10
 
If He is first, everything else will fall into place. He promises to give strength for the task at hand, to guide our steps, and bestow the grace to serve others. If we surrender to Him, He will be faithful to fulfill His promises.
 
"And if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the
afflicted soul, then shall thy light rise in obscurity,
and thy darkness shall be as the noon day. And
the Lord shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy
soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou
shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water,
whose waters fail not."
- Isaiah 58:10-11


The secret to the abundant life -- the life marked by peace, a grateful heart, and a willingness to serve -- of John 10:10 is delighting and abiding in Him.
 
"Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in Thy presence is fullness of joy;
at Thy right hand are pleasure for evermore."
- Psalm 16:11
 
May we all seek to delight more in Him and less in the fleeting pleasures and cares of this present world. 
 
My Delight
- Shannon J. Wexelberg
 
Break through the voices of this world
I cast these burdens aside.
Tune now my ear to Your whisper
Speak to this trembling inside.
Calm my anxious heart now.
Breath in me breath of new life.
Holy Spirit, rain down
My soul is thirsty and dry.
 
Be my Delight.
Be the song that I sing in the morning,
Be the bright ray of hope through the night,
Be my Delight.
Be the rest for the worn and the weary,
Be the peace, oh sweet Giver of life
Be my Delight.
 
Break through the lies that have held me
I hide Your Word in my heart.
Come now, revive and restore me.
Show me the treasure You are.
Calm my anxious heart now.
Breathe in me, Spirit of God,
Pull me to Your side now,
Captured by all that You are.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much, Katie! This aptly describes how I've been feeling lately. Great verses to be reminded of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, friend! I thought the verses were such wonderful reminders too, and I love how the Holy Spirit directs our attention to them right when we need the reminders most.

      Delete