January 25, 2015

Show Me // A Poem


Last night I was discouraged and weary in spirit. The Lord in His goodness led me to Scripture after Scripture, reminding me of precious truths and promises. He also led me to this poem and it so aptly described my heart that I had to share it here. It was such an amazing reminder of how intimately the Lord knows our hearts, right down to every single thought, care, desire, and doubt. He looks down on us with all the love of a Father and gently prompts us to turn our eyes back to Him.

Show Me the Shining of Thy Face
- Amy Carmichael

As when on the mountain, wood and stream,
A chilly mist doth sudden fall,
And passeth as a shining dream
The glory that did lighten all,

So is it, Savior, when a chill
As if of mist oppresseth me;
Where is the garden, where the hill,
Gethsemane and Calvary?

My joyous colors faint and fade
In cloudiness of dim distress;
And whispering doubts assail; afraid,
I walk as in a wilderness.

In such an hour, send forth Thy wind
That it may purge my heavy air;
The base affections of my mind --
Let them be sought out, dealt with there.

O sweetness, move in me, renew;
Look down from heaven, Thy dwelling place;
And do as Thou art wont to do.
Show me the shining of Thy face.


"Why are you cast down, O my soul?
And why are you disquieted within me?
Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him
for the help of His countenance."
- Psalm 42:5

No comments:

Post a Comment