October 24, 2012

Cast Your Care

“Why are thou cast down, O my soul?
And why art thou disquieted in me?
Hope thou in God.”
- Psalm 42:5

After a refreshing week of fall break, the second subterm started on Monday. Having finished two classes the previous Monday, I began two new block classes this week – Corrections and Judicial Process – and resumed my sixteen week science class.

Even after four years of college, I’m afraid I still get “syllabus shock.” Why? Perhaps it’s my type-A personality, and the simple truth that I tend to stress out about nearly everything. It’s not that I’m not excited for the classes – I love learning. Rather, it is worries about time management, health, the workload, and compensating for the little surprises life brings – surprises that can’t be anticipated.

Yet, at the beginning of each term and in the midst of my anxiety, the Lord faithfully brings me back to Him. He allows something in my life, usually illness, to remind me that I am not sufficient of myself and without Him, I can do nothing (John 15:5). The virus I have been fighting for the past week worsened. Today my doctor diagnosed bronchitis and put me on antibiotics. So, once again, I have been humbled and reminded that I am to cast myself in dependency on Him, who "performeth all things for me" (Psalm 57:2). 
 

The Daily Light for today was so fitting. I needed to be reminded of the truth in the verses. I’m so thankful for the way the Lord directs, giving me just what I stand in need of.

                “Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and He shall sustain thee: He shall never suffer the righteous to be moved – I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song: He is also become my salvation.
                “Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? – Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus – In quietness and confidence shall be your strength.
                “The effect of righteousness shall be quietness and assurance forever – Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid – Peace, from Him which is, and which was, and which is to come.”
 
                (Psalm 55:22 – Isaiah 42:2; Matthew 8:26 – Philippians 4:6-7 – Isaiah 30:15; Isaiah 32:17 – John 14:27 – Revelation 1:4).
 
Is there anything troubling you today? Any "care" that seems overwhelming? Cast it upon the Lord. He waits, ready to comfort you and give you rest (Matthew 11:28).

No comments:

Post a Comment