August 15, 2015

Martha and Her Many Things


I got stuck on last Sunday’s Daily Light. In fact, it was so convicting that I read it three nights in a row. It was one of those times where a passage pierced right to my heart and I sat back and said, slowly, “Oh, that’s me.”
 
Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you:
not as the world giveth, give I unto you. – The
world passeth away, and the lust thereof – Surely every man
walketh in a vain shew: surely they are disquieted in vain: he heapeth
up riches, and knoweth not who shall gather them. – What fruit had ye
then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? For the end of those
things is death. – Martha, Martha, thou are careful and troubled about many
things: but one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good
part, which shall not be taken away from her – I would have you without
carefulness. – These things have I spoken unto you, that in Me ye might have
peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer: I
have overcome the world – The Lord of peace Himself give you peace
always by all means – The Lord bless thee, and keep thee; the Lord
make His face to shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: the Lord
lift up His countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
 
John 14:27 – I John 2:17 – Ps. 39:6 – Rom. 6:21 – Luke 10:41-42
I Cor. 7:32 – John 16:33 – II Thess. 3:16 – Num. 6:24-26

The story of the two sisters, Mary and Martha, is quite short – only five verses. Mr. Bagster chose to place just two of them in Day 143 of his Daily Light. I’m ashamed to admit that every other single time I’ve read that story, I have tsk tsk’d Martha for her foolishness. In my spiritual pride, I’ve always figured that, if it had been me in that situation, I would have chosen the better way like Mary did.
 
I realized on Sunday that I’m regularly Martha. I am guilty of being troubled about many things. I am guilty of being distracted by the things that are quickly passing away – the ephemeral, the transient, the fleeting.
 
“Careful,” the word Christ used to describe Martha in verse 41 is otherwise translated “anxious.” We read elsewhere in Scripture that the Lord does not want us to be anxious – about anything.
 
“I would have you without carefulness”
 – I Corinthians 7:32
 
“Be careful for nothing: but in everything by prayer and supplication
with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.”
 – Philippians 4:6

Another translation puts I Cor. 7:32 this way: “I want you to be free from the concerns of this life” (NLT). Christ does not want us living burdened down and distracted by the cares of earthly life. If we are, then we’re not living the abundant life He offers us.
 
There was nothing wrong with what Martha was concerned about. Dishes have to be washed, floors to be swept, food to be prepared, and houses to be cleaned. That’s a normal part of life. We have to work to provide for our needs and to be good stewards of what the Lord has given us. In short, we really can’t avoid the cares of life. But we can change how we think about them.

The problem with Martha – and me – was focus. Somehow, while living here on earth, we need to keep our eyes on the eternal. We are to be seeking the things above – the unseen things that are eternal.
 
Martha needed one thing and Mary had chosen that good thing: an eternity-seeking heart focused on Christ. When our hearts are resting in Christ, then we find His peace and we can face the tribulation in the world because He has overcome and makes us overcomers.
 
“In the multitude of my thoughts within me,
Thy comforts delight my soul.”
 – Psalm 94:19

Instead of tying myself up in knots over this and that, I simply need to rest in Christ and ask Him for wisdom to discern what matters and what doesn’t. I want to build up treasure in heaven and keep my priorities in proper order.

“We are merely moving shadows,
and all our busy rushing ends in nothing.
We heap up wealth, not knowing who will spend it.
And so, Lord, where do I put my hope?
My only hope is in You.”
 – Psalm 39:6-7
 
When I rush around living like Martha, I end up distracted, exhausted, overwhelmed, and anxious. It’s so far from peaceful and abundant that it’s not even funny. In His infinite love, the Lord nudges my thinking, gently redirects my focus, and gives me grace and another chance. It’s easier to face the world with my eyes on Christ and a heart quieted by His peace.
 
“In quietness and confidence shall be your strength.”
 – Isaiah 30:15

No comments:

Post a Comment