September 10, 2015

Of Northern Lights and Shooting Stars

I just worked 72 hours in six days. I also squeezed in a trip to Duluth to visit my sister and somehow managed to survive a head cold. On top of that, I seem to be stuck in a middle-of-the-night transfer rut, which means my sleep average at work for the last five shifts has been 2.5 hours.

As I got off work this morning, I came away with a greater view of God’s faithfulness and tender mercies. Not only are His grace and strength sufficient for each step, but also He delights in blessing His children. Sometimes the blessings are big and obvious, while others are small and, if I don’t look close enough or my heart isn’t sensitive, easy to miss.

Two shifts ago at 0200 hours, I was trying desperately not to fall asleep. My partner was driving us back from a transfer. I was fighting nasal congestion and willing away the miles, eagerly anticipating the moment when I could crawl back into bed at base. Suddenly I felt prompted to look out my window and when I did, the sky was glowing – vibrant green Aurora Borealis against a star-studded background. My partner stopped the ambulance on the side of the road and we just watched the spectacular display for several minutes. For me, it was a love note from my Heavenly Father. He knew exactly where I was, what I was doing, how tired I was, and He chose to remind me of His love in a very visible way.

Last night, or, rather, early this morning, I was thankful for the few hours of sleep I got before the transfer call came in. About fifteen minutes down the road, a shooting star streaked across the night sky right in my field of vision. I hadn’t seen one since I was a child. We got back to base only a few hours before my shift ended, but I was able to get another hour of sleep, for which I was very grateful. For someone whose enemy is insomnia, it is such a relief when I can sleep and sleep well.

Sometimes I sit back in wonder at where I am right now: an insomniac like me working 24 shifts. It’s just not what I would have pictured or realized I would do. I had read yesterday’s calendar quote before I went to work, but it was all the more vivid this morning: “Be prepared for the will of God to be very different from what you imagined.” I couldn’t agree more with Elisabeth Elliot’s statement.

Then, as I pondered that more, I realized it is because God’s will not about me. It’s not about what I can do for God, what things I achieve, or what I plan to do with my future. It’s all about Christ and what He does through me for His glory. It’s about His will.

“It’s not about what we become for Him. 
It’s about what He makes of us for His glory.”

I’m not sure who that quote is from, but I think they say it well. When I’m in fellowship with Christ and my heart is in tune to His direction, then wherever He places me or whatever He puts before me is His will for me. From the beginning of eternity, He’s had a plan and, however miniscule my role may seem in the big picture, I’m humbled that He wants to use me. I’m a simple clay pot with holes, if you will, through which His light can shine out to the world and out of which His love can pour for others. He has a plan for each one of us but He does not forget our frail humanity or set us aside simply because we are weak. “As a father shows compassion to His children, so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear Him. For He knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust” (Psalm 103:13-14). He shows Himself strong where we are weak, crowns us with steadfast love and mercy, and renews our youth like the eagle’s. He blesses us and is oh so good to us. The end result is His honor and glory, of which He is infinitely and eternally worthy to receive.

In the words of Becky Buller’s beautiful prayer “Make Us to Shine,” may we be “worthy in Your sight to illuminate the night.” May we be willing to shine however dark the night, may we be willing to follow however steep the path, and may we be willing to honor Him however high the cost. The cost of our redemption was far too dear to Him for us to do nothing less. 

No comments:

Post a Comment