March 29, 2013

On Calvary's Cross

I have a Saviour; though I sought
Through earth and air and sea
 I could not find a word, a thought,
To show Him worthily.
But planted here in rock and moss
I see the Sign of utmost loss;
I hear a word - "On Calvary's Cross
Love gave Himself for thee."
- Amy Carmichael
 
 
Love gave Himself for me -- fallen, helpless, miserable, rebellious, sinful, and utterly selfish me. He was bruised for my iniquities,  wounded for my transgressions, and died alone all so that anyone could have eternal life, simply by trusting in His finished work on Calvary. As the beautiful hymn "Before the Throne of God Above" says, "Because the sinless Saviour died, my sinful soul is counted free. For God the just is satisfied to look on Him and pardon me."
 
I deserve eternity in hell, but I will live forever in heaven. I deserve God's justice yet I walk in oceans of grace. What amazing love! Surely there is no greater kind and surely since I have been the recipient of such love, how can I not give "my soul, my life, my all" to Him?
 
It pleased the Lord to bruise Him: He hath put Him to grief.
~ Now is My soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father,
save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.
Father, glorify Thy name. Then came there a voice from heaven,
saying, "I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again."
~ Father, if Thou be willing, remove this cup from Me:
nevertheless not My will, but Thine, be done. And there
appeared an angel unto Him from heaven, strengthening Him.
~ Being found in fashion as a man, He humbled Himself,
and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
~ Therefore doth My Father love Me, because I lay down My life,
that I might take it again. ~ For I came down from heaven,
not to do Mine own will, but the will of Him that sent me.
~ The cup which My Father hath given me, shall I not drink it?
~The Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things
that please Him. ~ My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
~ Mine elect, in whom My soul delighteth.
 
Isaiah 53:10 ~ John 12:27-28 ~ Luke 22:42-43 ~ Philippians 2:8
~ John 10:17 ~ John 6:38 ~ John 18:11
~ John 8:29 ~ Matthew 3:17 ~ Isaiah 42:1


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Kate! Thanks for the reminder! I am so thankful for our Savior and the promise of life we have in Him--especially when we are surrounded by a world without much hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear friend! When I really stop to ponder what Christ has done for me, it truly blows my mind.

      So true. I cannot imagine trying to live life without the hope I have in Him. It amazes me how freely He offers life and salvation to any who would simply trust Him, yet how many turn Him away, wrongly believing that His way is harder than their way. What riches, comfort, hope, and peace they are turning their back on, forsaking Him for a world full of fleeting pleasures and empty promises. How thankful I am for the promises He has given us and the firm foundation they offer for life in this dark world!

      Delete